Monday, January 9, 2012

A Look back at a Wild Weekend

My predictions for Wildcard Weekend went quite well with my only miss being Denver's huge upset over Pittsburgh. I missed the second half because I was busy losing a rock fight of a basketball game to hated rival St Johns, but I have never been more stunned by the outcome of an NFL playoff game. The Steelers defense continued to risk big plays down the field for the sake of not giving up five yard runs, it was a flawed game plan that cost them the game. The Tim Tebow bandwagon had all but emptied after three straight losses, but when I saw him unleash his crazy eyes after a second quarter touchdown run I knew the Broncos were destined to win. The Denver wins clearly lays out the road to a Patriots Superbowl appearance as they would now only have to win one game against a team with a winning record (Houston-Baltimore winner) to qualify for the Superbowl. I will preview Pats-Broncos later in the week and cannot wait to be in attendance Saturday night.

 In other action around the NFL the Drew Brees passing barrage against the Lions and The Giants dominate performance over the Falcons only strengthened my beliefs about the NFC playoff picture. I said last week and continue to belief that the New York Giants are the only team that can dethrone the Packers. Eli Manning is a great road quarterback and they can pressure Aaron Rodgers by only rushing four. A lot of people our hoping on the Giants bandwagon after yesterday, but you heard it here first that Green Bay is going down next week. This sets up the dream scenario for Drew Brees and the Saints. They have to go on the road to face the dangerous 49ers, but will be able to outscore them even if they don't bring there A game. While I would favor the Giants against any NFC team on a neutral field, no one is beating the Saints in the dome.

  Saturday was a great day for local hockey fans as the Bruins hosted the Canucks and four local colleges played a doubleheader at Fenway Park. The Bruins lost to the only team that has a chance to beat them this season the Bruins themselves. They allowed Vancouver to score four goals on eleven power play chances and had forwards Milan Lucic and Brad Merchand ejected early in a 4-3 defeat. We love the Bruins for playing on the edge, but if they fail to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions it will be because of their own undisciplined play. In the only game of the college doubleheader we cared about Don "Toot" Cahoon and the UMASS hockey team beat Vermont 3-2 in OT. The team showed great heart in killing off a five minute major with two minutes to go in regulation and scored shortly after getting there own power play chance in the final minute of overtime.

  LSU squares off with Alabama in the long overdue BCS National Championship tonight. I was not looking forward to this game as I hate rematches and was bored by the 9-6 game the teams played in November. As the never ending bowl season has played out and we have seen team after team fail at playing any type of basic defense, I have actually come to look forward to this game. With a minimum of ten future NFL starters on the defensive end of the ball tonight we should see a game without 500 missed tackles. I see LSU capping off an undefeated season with a 14-10 win due in large part to the advantage of playing in the New Orleans Superdome where like the Saints they simply don't lose.

   I will be back writing again tomorrow to recap the football game and give some thoughts on the first half of the college basketball season. I will also detail how you can donate to the Minutes from Memories foundation which has there big kickoff Fundraiser on Friday Night. As for me I am off to watch the Showtime premieres from last night highlighted by the return of "Shameless" as I try to figure out a way Wachusett can score more then 45 points a game. See ya tomorrow everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment