Friday, January 13, 2012

A Bunch of Weekend Thoughts

I had the intention of writing more this week, but that BCS Title game was so terrible that I lost all my motivation. I could not be more fired up for this weekend. I will be freezing my ass off in section 123 of Gillette Stadium Saturday Night as Tebowmania rides into town. I've had season tickets for ten years but have skipped paying the playoff cost the last three years, now with me back in my seats the Pats can overcome their playoff losing streak. The Patriots have hosted two Saturday night games in the divisional round in the Brady era the famous snow/tuck rule game and a Titans game when it was -5 outside. The weather looks bearable and when you combine the opponent the situation and the company I haven't been this excited for a game ever. I expect the Pats to roll 38-14!

 Before I get to Saturday I have a fundraiser Friday night for the Minutes for Memories foundation. I encourage all to donate to foundation which raises money for Addison Russell who was paralyzed when struck by a jet ski in 2006. The foundation has formed a wheelchair soccer team I am a member of that we are unveiling Friday. Those who know me are well aware that I struggle playing with others and have not adopted well going from coach to player. While I disagree with the team's coaching style which they week showed us how to drive left and right and forwards and backwards (no joke) I have great respect for Addison and foundation founder Matt Roach. I'm glad to have the opportunity to help them out and raise awareness for a great cause. As mind numbing as I find the coaching at times I will stick around until we start playing games and I can show off my scoring touch. (insert insult here) If you'd like to make a donation please visit www.minutesformemories.org

 Moving on to some of the other NFL games of the weekend I'm sticking with my picks from my preview column Saints, Ravens and Giants. I was one of the first to arrive on the Giants bandwagon and am now nervous from all the over crowding. I wish they just shut their months and played with a quiet confidence, but I guess with the Jets missing the playoffs someone in New York has to fill the trash talking void. A angry Aaron Rodgers and healthy Packers team scares me but I'm backing my UMASS guy Victor Cruz.  Giants 28-24! I love Jim Harbaugh but I'm not backing Alex Smith over Drew Brees even if the 1985 bears defensive was behind him. Saints 27-17! Not much to say about Houston-Baltimore other then T.J. Yates is on the road. Ravens 24-3!

 Highly impressed by the Syracuse Orange basketball team. They seem finally poised to make the Final Four that they've been lingering on the edge of the last three seasons. The Big East is way down this year and a road date with Uconn could be the only thing keeping them from an undefeated regular season. The team is ten deep, plays great defense and finally capable of overcoming Scoop Jardine's turnovers and terrible shots. I'm thinking Matt O'Donnell should be planning a trip to New Orleans.

 I promise to have great stories on Monday as I become the first cripple to go from a cripple fundraiser to a strip club bar crawl and spend five drunken hours in a freezing parking lot in the same weekend. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment