Friday, January 20, 2012

1/20/12

So it's Friday and I've really been slacking on the writing, but let's get on with the show. Championship weekend is upon us and I am rooting hard for a Giants-Patriots Superbowl rematch. Getting revenge on the team that denied us sports immortality would be greatly satisfying and a fitting way to mark the Patriots return to the top of the NFL. It seemed clear watching from my frozen seats last week that Brady is locked in right now and determined to get ring number four. Both Brady and Belichick are greatly aware that they have left more then one Superbowl slip through their fingers in the past seven seasons and finally getting ring number four would cement there respective greatest of all time cases. Baltimore presents the biggest defensive challenge the Patriots have faced all year but lack consistent offensive weapons. The Patriots defense will force Joe Flacco into turnovers and pull away late 31-17.
 
 The Giants-49ers will be a physical battle that should go right down to the wire. As impressive as 49er quarterback Alex Smith was last week in a big comeback win over the Saints, he is no Eli Manning. Manning is a proven playoff winner especially on the road and a more consistent playoff performer then even his brother Peyton. I see Eli leading a late drive to secure a comeback win 20-17. The two weeks of build up to the Superbowl will be difficult, but the chance for revenge is the most appetizing matchup for all Patriot fans.

 I attended a Celtics-Raptors game this week and it is amazing to see in person just how far the team has fallen. Paul Pierce missed four easy layups and seemed incapable of ever finishing at the basket. It was even more painful watching Kevin Garnett who has now vertical leap at all and no longer defend players one on one. The team's championship window is permanently closed and if I was Danny Ainge I would start the rebuilding process now. Look for at least two of the big three to be traded before the March trading deadline as Ainge aims to gather multiple first round picks in this year's deep draft.

 The Bruins play has leveled off as of late, but they have a big game on Saturday against the Rangers. The Rangers currently sit one point ahead of the Bruins for the first place in the Eastern Conference. These two usually play tight checking low scoring games, so let's hope the game features some physical play. 

Happy 25th birthday wishes go out to my brother Matt. He's a stand up guy who was smart enough to break free of our fair city and make a great life for himself in New York City. I admire him greatly for showing ambition and following his dreams. I hope his next year is as good as his last and that he continues to find success in his new surroundings. I am very much looking forward to visiting him for the first time in earlyMarch

 I am growing quite tired of terribly played low scoring high school basketball games. I don't know if I'll even come back to coach for real next season. In the past few months I've lost a lot of my passion for the game. Maybe an inspired playoff run will change my mind we'll see, but right it just not the same that it once was.

 Have a good weekend everybody, I'll be live at Gillette again this weekend with my partner in crime Colleen McGourty. It shouldn't be as epically cold as it was last weekend and as long as were not driving through snow on the way there it should actually be a comfortable day. I'll take a look back at the games on Monday, I really hope my predictions hold true and we have awesome Super Bowl parties to plan!  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment