Friday, December 23, 2011

Random Thoughts/NBA Preview

As we come upon Christmas I thought I'd put up a new blog to close out the week. I like bullet style even when I ramble on in long paragraphs so we're going to continue to roll with it.
-Words cannot describe how proud I am of the Wachusett Mountaineers for rolling through Cambridge to get to 5-0 on the season. As a coach I get caught up in the missed layups, missed free throws and our general ugly style of play, but I missed the boat on this team. Through all our many summer loses we endured together I was blind to the fact that our team chemistry was great, our competitiveness was growing and we were building a will to win. I've told many people this is the least talent team we've ever had and now I'm telling you it's the most unified team we've ever had and that sometimes matters more. We have a very long way to go, but I'm done selling this team short and I'm excited for what the rest of the season may bring.
-With the Texans lost last night the Patriots can clinch a bye tomorrow with a win over the Dolphins. I see them winning out and am hoping for a primetime game against the Jets in the divisional playoffs. While the game scares me to to death I cannot imagine a more enjoyable scenario then a revenge game on a Saturday night with a touch of snow in the air.
-Excuse me for being excited by the 10-3 start of my UMASS Minutemen. They may fail in comparison to the #1 ranked Syracuse Orange of Matt O'Donnell but things finally seem to moving in the right direction. I'm really hoping to get back to the Mullins Center sometimes during conference play and the hot start combined with the football team moving to Division 1 makes this a rare enjoyable time to be a UMASS alumni.
-My quick take on Sherlock Holmes 2 from last night is that Jared Harris steals the movies as Professor Moriarty. I've always loved his work on "Mad Men" and found him even more enjoyable here in his first real starring role in a big budget film. People may pay to see Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law but Jared Harris was the best actor on the screen. The movie itself was highly enjoyable and far better then the first film but loses points for a real lack of Rachel McAdams who has always been a personal favorite for obvious reasons.
-Bruins keep doing what you do I'm not going to jinx you. HBO's 24/7 series on the Flyers-Rangers is awesome. If they did a show like this all year long hockey would be more popular. I wish I could swear as much as NHL coaches and the shit hockey refs talk is great.
-This is a great sports weekend with the NFL playing the bulk of its schedule on Saturday and the NBA starting on Sunday. Here is my quick NBA preview:
The Celtics will struggle but finish with 40 wins and pull down the #4 seed in the East. E'taun Moore the rookie from Purdue will be the team's unsung hero and they will shock the #1 seeded Bulls in the playoffs before losing to Miami in the Conference finals. The Knicks vs Heat in the second round will be the best playoff series in the last five years. Here's my full breakdown of the East:
1.Bulls (50-16)
2.Heat (49-17)
3.Knicks (42-24)
4.Celtics (40-26)
5.Pacers  (38-28)
6.Sixers   (36-30)
7.Magic   (34-32
8.Atlanta  (31-33)
Like I said above the Celtics will make a run but Miami will win the Conference Finals.
-The West is where the real fun is this year and anyone that makes the playoffs can make the NBA finals. The Clippers, Thunder and Nuggets are most watch TV this season and the Lakers are the biggest unknown as I see them getting Dwight Howard at the trade deadline. Here's my Full West breakdown:
1.Thunder (47-19)
2.Mavericks (44-22)
3.Clippers (42-24)
4.Grizzles (42-24)
5.Nuggets (41-25)
6.Lakers    (39-27)
7.Spurs     (38-28)
8.Blazers  (36-30)
The Lakers-Clippers first round series may bring riots to LA and I see the Clippers taking them down in 7 games. Ultimately though I see the Thunder making the Finals over squeaking by the Grizzles in seven in round 2 and taking out the Mavs in five games in the Conference Finals.
-Sadly I see the Heat winning the title in six games and Lebron finally getting his ring. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.
-I end this always rambling blog by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. I hope everyone gets everything they want no matter how far fetched. I won't be posting links on Facebook anymore since their are too many random people on there so save this site to your favorites and i'll update it every couple of days. Thanks again to my friends/readers you may be few but I love you all. Merry Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment