Monday, December 12, 2011

Quick Weekend Wrap

The weekend wrap is going to be a weekly segment on the blog. Here's my quick take aways from another wild weekend in the world of sports.
-It's getting hard for me to even watch Patriots games anymore. The pass defense is so bad I have been setting myself up for another first round playoff flame out for weeks now. I don't know what happened to Devin McCourty, but he is taking the term sophomore slump to an all new level. The only joy I take from these games is watching "Gronk" drag defenders into the end zone and redefine the tight end position every week. It is a long shot, but if he can catch 5 touchdowns in the last three games he will tie Randy Moss for the single season receiving touchdown record. (20 in 2007) If the season ended today the Pats would host the Jets in the first round of playoffs and if that doesn't scare you it should.
-Tebow Magic is real and I don't think I've ever been more excited for a regular season game then the Pats at the Broncos next week. If you think this is going to be an easy game, you just haven't been paying attention the last eight weeks. With his latest fourth quarter comeback and the help of the stupidity of Marion Barber the Broncos are on the verge of clinching the AFC West. It seems likely that the Broncos will host the Steelers in the first of the playoffs and that will set ratings records.
-Five NFL games were decided on the final play yesterday and from those we learned the following: Eli Manning is an elite QB, Dallas still can't win in December, Houston is not going away and the Bengals are who we thought they were.
-Green Bay is going 16-0 and there's nothing we can do about it. They might be favored by 30 over Kansas City this week and barring a miracle or a Rogers injury will win the Super Bowl and erase the 2007 Patriots from memory. (Trying our first reverse jinx)
-I think I cursed the Bruins. Ever since proclaiming the most enjoyable local team to follow since 2007, they've lost 2 of 3 and Zedeno Chara got injured. I will not be commenting on the Bruins anytime soon.
-The Celtics lost the opportunity to land Hornets F David West when the Chris Paul trade fell through. Getting someone to take Jermaine O'Neal would have been one of the best trades of the Danny Ainge era. As presently constructed the Celtics are ultra thin in the front court and looks like a .500 team. This version of the "Big Three" should have won at least two titles, but I am ready to see the rebuilding effort begin.
-Indiana's buzzer beater over Kentucky was my favorite moment of the weekend. A storied program is back and looks to be a contender. Meanwhile John Calipari is still trying to figure out how to foul at the end of games and continues to learn how hard it is to win a title with freshmen. Kentucky's loss combined with Kansas knocking off Ohio State will move Syracuse to #1 in the polls. As someone who has followed that program very closely the last six years I never thought I'd see the day. They are not the most talent team in the country but I'm very excited to see what they can do in their final year of Big East play. (shame)
-Slow sports week this week with all the good college teams off for Finals if anyone has any blog ideas feel free to send them to me. Will post as new dictates and if your like one of my readers (Matt O'Donnell) who is bothered by grammar you have way too much time on your hands 

No comments:

Post a Comment