Friday, March 16, 2012

No Dogs Allowed in Milville

The weather was awesome on Wednesday so I took advantage of a rare chance to get outside in the middle of the week and tried my hand at hiking. After breakfast at Lou Roc's Diner Colleen and I ventured out to Uxbridge to see how we could do on the Blackstone trail. That trail was a fairly easy and straightforward two mile walk. The only complication was a step up to a bridge that let to Stanley Mill that prevented us from totally completing the journey. I was feeling confident enough in my new found driving abilities that was decided to make the confusing eleven minute car ride to Milville to try our hand at Milville Lock.

The first sign of trouble was a low gate at the entry point that I failed horribly at ducking under. I managed to squeeze between two rocks and sped my way down the trail getting about ten feet before sinking into a pile of rocks and getting completely stuck. I am famous for not paying attention when driving but that was not the case here. I did see that there was a way to avoid the rock pile but I was convinced I could plow through it. After spinning around a couple times and having my wheels not move at all it became apparent that we were not getting out on our own. After a couple elderly gentlemen passed by with little interest in helping us I was willing to call in the voluntary Milville Police and promise never to show my face in town again.

It was at this moment that our first good samaritan appeared in the form of a 6'4 gentlemen in his forties. I was confident this guy could help pull me out but he turned out to be the weakest man in Milville. After four or five really lame attempts at yanking me out he retreated to his car to go home and get a shovel. I had no confidence that this guy could get me out with a forklift much less a shovel so I prepared myself to spend a long time at the start of Milville Lock. Two ten year old boys came flying down the trail on there bikes and offered to help. One was a little guy and the other was a chubby kid but they took one try at pulling me out and all of a sudden I was free. It was a true King Arthur moment and I feel confident that these young men will soon be ruling over the small town of Milville as they are clearly the strongest in the town. As we were getting in the car the first man returned more ashamed then relieved that we had been freed by a couple of ten year old boys.

After taking a couple of minutes to collect ourselves I decided never to return to Milville. We made yet another pass through Uxbridge to try to find Blackstone Gorge. After several minutes of GPS confusion we made it to the town of Blackstone. The Gorge served as a good photo opportunity and as made our way back up to the car I temporarily got stuck in the sand. At this point we swore off outdoor activities for the day although we did make a quick pass through Purgatory Chasm quickly realizing there was no way that was going to happen.

The rest of the night was spend more in our comfort zone shopping and going to dinner. I enjoyed trying "hiking" since we are always looking for outdoor activities to do. I will give it another shot in the near future but probably won't pass through Milville. There tiny adult male population is just too weak and I get stuck in enough figurative ruts to have to worry about getting caught in actual ones. While the town's future looks bright based on the capabilities of its young children for now I am slapping Milville with the "No Dogs Allowed" tag which will become a running feature in the blog. If you have any ideas of things you want me to try pass them along and I will write about it and see if it passes the accessibility test.

No comments:

Post a Comment