Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Leaving on a Slow Train

My bags are packed heavily and in a few short hours I am off to Manhattan. After a crushing first round defeat in the Districts, a slew of network television reruns on the way and an ice cold job market I can't get out of here fast enough. The official reason for the trip is the Big East Tournament Quarterfinals, but they are merely an expensive to get into the city for a few days. I have 50 short hours of fun that pretty much has to get me through the next six months of extreme boredom. I've been pretty good at finding a way to get away on "Spring Break" every March and this trip promises to avoid the sunburns of Fort Lauderdale, the frost bite of Montreal and the straight up debacle that was Foxwoods. It will feature public intoxication, overeating, getting lost on subways and a ton of smiles.

I will try not to work Jackson too hard but there won't be a lot of sleeping on this trip. The only promise I make him is that I'll hold my liquor like a good Irish boy and avoid puking. We get in kind of late tonight 9:30 or so but that gives us more then a few hours to hit the bars. Thanks to the folks at Stubhub we have a marathon day of four games tomorrow at Madison Square Garden. I can't wait to see "the world's most famous arena and we'll see what there handicapped upgrade policy is because we have nose bleed seats. It will be nice to see Matt who has been working hard for the corporate man and turned into a real penny counter. (just kidding city terribly expensive) We don't want to collide his Worcester and Brooklyn too much it would ruin the new mythology I've given him. Colleen is also in the city this week and is taking us sightseeing on Friday and I promise to not to jump off the Empire State Building. Jackson and I are really bad at documenting thinks but I'm sure some drunken pictures of me will be popping up on the internet ruining my chances to run for public office.

I  have a solid two weeks of clothes packed for a short trip so if Jackson comes back alone Saturday I've gone rogue and do not want to be found. I have the greatest of expectations for the next few days so hopefully things go smoothly and even if they don't it will make for a great adventure. With my birthday, the NCCAs and Saint Patrick's Day next week I should be able to manage my post vacation depression fairly well but there will be plenty of time to deal with that after 50 hours of LEGENDARY Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment